While we have had a good run in the past couple of years, the economic downturn has put a dampner on what otherwise could have been a great year. As of now we seem all set for a mere 4% growth. This too has a probability of about 50%. Some argue that we could have done better, others say we have done better than expected. I for now will let these numbers aside and concentrate on what we can do to strengthen our structure. So i came up with a list of To Do Items for the year 2009.
Since any list should be specific and am a strong believer in targets with dates i figured we need a list which will not just contain random or vague ideas but specific commitments. This :”improve quality” should be “improve quality by 25%” which could translate to “reduce rejections by 25%” assuming rejections are the only barometer to quality in your organization.
In no particular order,
- Have an employee feedback system in place, at all levels. We currently have a very rudimentry feedback system.
- Improve Quality by 25%. note to self: Pay attention to number of rejections! Measure number of rework items.
- Reduce Delivery Times by another 50% – reduce communication times. Insist on drawings within 15 working days. Setup a measurable TAT (Turn-Around-Time) system.
- Setup a Sales and Marketing team by September. This includes hiring, training and introductions to a few customers.
- Improve storage techniques on the floor, get wooden floor stands for cylinders.
- Greater amount of labelling on the floor. Label all ‘stands’, all items in store as well as on floor.
- Get the workshop painted by October.
- Get dashboards for Stores, Design, Quality, Production and Subcontracting in order and in place by 1st April 2009. Atleast begin and alter as days go by.
- Arrange for a cooling solution inside factory before summer.
- Reduce Operating Costs by 25%. – in tandem with quality initiative, employ a rudimentry just-in-time procedure. Reduce time lag as much as possible at all levels.
- Setup Inspection And Testing area by April 2009.
- Extend the workshop as per the layout by architect. – April 2010.
- Finalize and Approve the drawing by architect to extend the workshop – April 1st 2009.
- Complete the design document with detailed procedures – April 1st 2009.
That should do for now. I will add to the list as days go by. I would also want to revisit this list and review it so that i do not loose track of it myself. so long.. !